Please see Holiday Information Sheet for this holidays individual departures itinerary (located under View Departures & Book tab)
Whilst every effort will be made to adhere to the outlined itinerary and advertised program, local conditions can change due to weather or other unforeseen circumstances. This may mean that routes and timings need to be amended or the order of days may change, sometimes at short notice.
This departure: Grade 6
Upon arrival into Tenerife Reina Sofia airport we will travel by road to San Cristobal de la Laguna and our hotel.
Day 2 to 5
During our time on Tenerife we will enjoy four days of walking. There are lots of walks available to your leader and the walks below will give you a flavour of what to expect.
- Pedro Alvarez to Punta Hildalgo, starting at this rural village the initial ascent has spectacular views over the local area and towards the west coast. We continue uphill through the laurel forest of Anaga before the path eases for a while. This gives you the opportunity to admire the amazing flora and fauna. The path changes as we head downhill, twisting and turning before the forest opens, revealing the full beauty of the barrancos before you. This area was formed millions of years ago and hasn’t changed much. You can soak in the vista during your picnic lunch before a challenging descent takes us down to the coast. 9.5Km 400m ascent, 900m descent
- Las Escaleras to Afur. Walking on ancient paths, we pass stunning barrancos and small hamlets. We see rockhouses in Chinamada, the threshing squares in Las Carboneras, then picnic in the village of Taborno with its majestic rock, which was revered by the original inhabitants, the Guanches. After a short ridge walk we descend to the spectacular Afur valley. A knock on the door will get us a well-earned drink in an unusual bar.
13Km ascent 450m descent 900m 5 hours. Not recommended for vertigo sufferers.
- Afur Circuit. From the tiny hamlet of Afur an undulating path takes us through small parcels of farmland, crossing then following a stream with picturesque waterfalls to a beach with dramatic cliffs. Climbing eastwards, we continue along a coastal path with breath-taking views. We pass through a cluster of buildings at Auchones, famous for its wine before an optional drink and a rest in Taganana. A challenging climb takes us up to La Cumbrecilla and a gentle descent to our waiting bus.
14km; 850m ascent/descent 6 hours. Not recommended for vertigo sufferers.
- Las Canteras to Bajamar. Starting on the outskirts of La Laguna we head uphill out of the town, leaving the hustle and bustle for the peace and quiet of Anaga. We stop at the Mirador de Zapata where on a clear day you can see Mount Teide and Gran Canaria, as well as La Laguna and the local area. Our walk crosses towards the west coast and we descend into a beautiful valley which takes us to Bajamar, our destination. 16km, 500m ascent, 1050m descent. Not recommended for vertigo sufferers.
Transfer to Tenerife Norte airport and take a flight to Lanzarote. Transfer by road to Arrecife and our hotel.
Day 7 to 10
During our time on Lanzarote we will enjoy four days of walking. There are lots of walks available to your leader and the walks below will give you an idea of what to expect.
- Maguez Circular. A circular walk from the whitewashed village of Maguez which takes in magnificent views of the North of Lanzarote. We pass along the side of a volcano and then walk through the picturesque village of Ye before continuing on high cliff paths with spectacular views of the nearby island of La Graciosca and returning to Maguez. This is a a real highlight of the holiday. 16k / 10 miles 500m asc/desc 4.5 hrs
- Along the coast of the Timanfaya National Park. We start the day with a fascinating journey through the historic geology of Lanzarote before walking through the lava fields made by the devastating eruptions in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. The beautiful blue sea and white waves contrast with the dark sea of lava on land. The trail is remote and without shade; walking can be difficult on uneven volcanic rock and a narrow path. There is an option to avoid the difficult terrain and have an early lunch at a beautiful local rocky beach.
14.5km; some parts undulating and rough underfoot; 3 hours 30 mins
- Haria to Teguise. A walk which follows the old trading paths from Haria, the Valley of a Thousand Palm Trees, to the ancient capital of Teguise. We walk on ancient and rough tracks, ascending to a high plateau and the church of Ermita de las Nieves. This walk affords spectacular views inland and to the coast. There is also time for a look around tranquil Teguise. 16k / 10miles, 550m/1750ft asc 4.5 hrs
- Femes to Puerto Calero. A linear walk starting in the high mountains of the south which are usually visible from Arrecife. We start with a rough ridge walk then enter a quiet and tranquil valley where rare birds have been seen, followed by a secluded lava beach which is an ideal location for a swim. We then have fine views as the path snakes its waty north to the unspoilt resort of Playa Quemada where a few nice bars/restaurants are available. From there it continues on the coast path to Puerto Calero where it is possible to spend some time after the walk. 18km / 11 miles 520 asc, 800 desc 6.5 hrs
It has come time to bid Lanzarote farewell as we head to the airport for our onward flight home.
Please select Departure Date to view: