Bach in the LechtalDiscover a Tirolean romantic white wilderness
Austria knows how to do winter – fir trees heavy with snow, picture-postcard alpine villages, log fires and glühwein. The village of Bach, our base, combines undisturbed tranquillity with age-old customs. In the northern Tirol, between the Lechtal Alps to the south and the Allgäu Alps to the north, the village lies at just over 1,000m, with the surrounding peaks rising to well over 2,500m. The many side valleys allow us access to excellent snowshoeing routes.
One walk takes us through snow-covered meadows and spruce woods to the beautifully situated Wasealm Hut with views up the Grieß valley. On another day we head west to walk between the Kalbele and Körber Lakes – a walk described as “walking through hills covered in icing sugar”. The highlight of the week is a walk to the Bernardseck Hut, starting with a lift in a snow-grooming machine, for an included fondue lunch, then beyond towards the summit of the Muttekopf.
The hotel manager, an experienced snowshoe walking leader with an intimate knowledge of the area will normally lead most of our walks. We include all local transport for our snowshoeing programme.
The heady mix of clean air and beautiful mountains will, within a couple of days, cleanse both the body and mind. Back home you may experience ‘Mountain Withdrawal Symptoms’, guaranteed to draw you back time and time again.
Take a look at our other Winter Sports holidays.Highlights
- The ascent to the Muttekopf (2,100m), followed by a descent through woods and across snow-covered meadows.
- Walking in pristine snow in the mountains.
- Lunch stops in alpine huts, including fondue on one day (conditions permitting).
- An evening (flaming) torchlight walk with glühwein.
All Holiday Information sheets are in PDF format. You will need Acrobat Reader or a similar program to view these. To download Acrobat Reader visit get.adobe.com/reader.
- Return flights and transfers.
- Half board en-suite accommodation.
- A large breakfast buffet and four course dinner with salad buffet in the hotel.
- All local transport costs.
We stay in the very comfortable three-star family run Hotel Grüner Baum in the centre of the village. The hotel has its own sauna, which is free to guests.
For an idea of the look and feel of the hotel, take a look at its website - currently only in German.
- Arrival transfer by road (c2hrs 30mins).
- Flights Heathrow-Munich (c2hrs), British Airways.
- Direct regional flights available with Lufthansa from Manchester and Birmingham. The full cost of the regional flights is payable at the time of booking. Unfortunately this amount is non refundable. Supplement from £40 return.
Holiday: Would have liked longer days; hotel excellent, shows the benefit of being family-run - efficient but friendly
Holiday: We highly recommend this holiday from every aspect. If you can walk, you can snowshoe walk!
If you would like to know more about the holiday, or have any specific questions - please send us a message using the form on the right. One of our holiday experts will get back to you with more information.
With his great passion for mountains, he is to be found in Europe each summer leading our hut to hut tours, and then in winter heading for the snow. His vast knowledge of wild flowers and geology, could take him to any continent the rest of the year.