The world's more beautiful on foot...


Call us on 01707 331133

  • Mon to Fri09:00 - 17:00
  • Saturday 09:00 - 13:00
  • Sunday & Bank HolidaysClosed

Call us on 01707 331133

  • Mon to Fri09:00 - 17:00
  • Saturday 09:00 - 13:00
  • Sunday & Bank HolidaysClosed

Our Holidays

Brexit Travel Advice

Brexit Advice

We're very much aware that the United Kingdom's departure from the European Union continues to cause some uncertainty as to how travel and holidays might be affected in 2021 and beyond.

We continue to monitor events closely and liaise with our travel industry governing bodies and regulators in order to prepare for any developing eventualities.

More travel advice relating to Brexit is available on the ABTA website, however we'll answer some of you biggest questions below.

As an ABTA and ATOL bonded Tour Operator when you book with us, you get complete peace of mind. You can rely on a high level of support and financial protection before, during and after your holiday.


As international travel resumes as the coronavirus restrictions ease, there is currently nothing to suggest that flights between the EU and the UK will be further disrupted by Brexit.

Visas for short trips - you will not need one if you're a tourist

If you’re a tourist, you will not need a visa for short trips to most EU countries, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland. You’ll be able to stay for up to 90 days in any 180-day period.

Different rules will apply to Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus and Romania. If you visit these countries, visits to other EU countries will not count towards the 90-day total.

It is anticipated that the EU will introduce an electronic pre-travel checking system (ETIAS) for non-EU nationals not requiring visas and traveling to the Schengen Area countries. The system is expected to be introduced in May 2023, with authorisations costing €7 per person which will be valid for 3 years.


Check to see if your passport will still be valid. If you have a British passport, you will need to have at least six months left on your passport (you are normally permitted to stay for up to 90 days without a visa and you must have 3 months validity left on your passport on the day you leave. In addition, your passport must be less than 10 years old on the day after you leave.

Border Control - you may have to show your return ticket and money

At border control, you may need to:

  • show a return or onward ticket
  • show you have enough money for your stay
  • use separate lanes from EU, EEA and Swiss citizens when queueing
  • state the purpose of your visit (tourism)

Taking food and drink into EU countries

  • Since 1 January 2021, you are not able to take meat, milk or products containing them into EU countries - this can include a cheese or ham sandwich bought at the airport or on the plane.


UK issued European Health Insurance Cards (EHICs) will continue to be valid until they expire and may not be renewed. Otherwise, UK travellers to the EU should obtain the new UK GHIC which has replaced the EHIC following Brexit.

A valid EHIC or GHIC should not be considered a substitute for comprehensive travel insurance which should include sufficient healthcare cover, including cover for existing medical conditions and any activities you plan to do.

Travel Insurance

When travelling to the EU or further afield, you should always ensure that you have adequate travel insurance for the nature of your holiday. Please ensure that it provides adequate cover for your needs including the activities you expect to be undertaking on your holiday. Due to the nature of our holidays, it should include cover for mountain rescue (including helicopter rescue).

Allowing a bit more time

It would always be a good idea to allow a little more time than usual to pass through the formalities at airports, international railways stations and ports.

Mobile data roaming

Rules around mobile data roaming are changing meaning you may face charges when using your phone abroad, including for making calls, sending messages or using the internet. Check with your mobile phone provider about their data roaming policy.


Driving permits

If you plan to drive in Europe, you may need an International Driving Permit for the areas you plan to drive in. You may need more than one depending on where you are visiting. Each permit costs £5.50 and is available from certain branches of the Post Office. 

Find out more about getting an International Driving Permit.

Green cards for insurance

If you are driving your own car in Europe, (from 2 August 2021) you no longer need to obtain and carry a physical Green Card for your UK car insurance to be valid in the EU. 

GB car stickers

You will need a UK sticker (not a GB sticker) for your own car when driving in the EU. From 28 September 2021 GB stickers are no longer valid when driving your car overseas.

Book with confidence

As an ABTA Tour Operator offering guided walking holiday packages, when booking with us, you can rely on a high level of support and financial protection before, during and after your holiday.

With European consumer protection legislation such as the Package Travel Directive 2018 and the Consumer Rights Directive 2011 already introduced into UK law, your holiday booking will retain a high level of financial and other protection after Britain leaves the EU.

We'll keep you updated

We'll keep this Brexit page updated to keep you up to date and continue to provide advice to those travelling with us as to any eventualities relating to your holiday.