colours and snow by day, Northern Lights by night
Norwegians say that autumn is the time to go hiking, when the air is clear and
the countryside turns red and gold. Or experience the winter fjords either on
foot, snowshoes or by cable car. Our three winter cruises are designed to enjoy
this snowy wonderland to the full. When the sun sets, the Northern Lights may
display for us, supplying some memorable and magical night time aurora views.
SHORE WALKS AND EXCURSION
- The port lies at the northern end of the Lofoten Islands. A short walk from
the ship brings us to the start of the trail up Steiraheia. A local guide
accompanies us to the summit from where there are excellent 360° views
- Towards the southern end of the Lofoten Islands, it’s a short journey by bus
to our hike up Holandsmelen with a local guide for fabulous views.
- From the capital of the Shetland Islands we travel to St Ninian’s Isle for a
guided walk to see ruins, wild moors and hear tales of smugglers and buried
- Norway’s Art Nouveau city, beautifully situated on a peninsula surrounded by
mountains and sea. Its low altitude means that the panoramic path above the
city is normally clear in winter.
- The city’s great attraction is the Nidaros Cathedral. We have a sightseeing
walk around Trondheim and walk the Lade Trail for a short distance along the
- Beyond the Arctic Circle, the city traditionally styled as the gateway to the
Arctic. We don snowshoes for a hike with a local guide on the hill of Kvaløya
over the wonderful wintry landscape.
- Beyond the Arctic Circle, we have a double arctic thrill here, taking a dog
sled ride and visiting the Ice Hotel. There should also be time to visit the
local museum containing information about arctic rock carvings.
- Beyond the Arctic Circle. We drive inland for a guided visit to the Polar
Park, the world’s northernmost animal park. It is home to Norway’s largest
predators such as bear, wolves and lynx, as well as deer, moose, reindeer and
- A city built very attractively on four islands. We hike from the harbour to
Vanndamman Lake and then to the Varden viewpoint.
- A little visited port just to the north of the Arctic Circle. We join with a
local guide for a snow-shoeing walk through some beautiful scenery.