Good quality waterproof walking shoes or trail shoes with a thick, moulded sole with a good tread and a low heel are likely to be all that is required for these holidays. If you are a frequent walker and are comfortable in good quality hiking sandals, these may be adequate for some walks. You can wear lightweight walking boots if you prefer.
Footwear As Hand Luggage
We recommend that you either wear your walking boots or shoes or pack them and some waterproofs in your hand luggage as in the unlikely event that your hold luggage is delayed, you will still be able to participate in the holiday programme.
General Kit List
Outdoor activities are always safer and more enjoyable if you are prepared.
If you have not travelled with us before the following list might be of use:
- Waterproof jacket (Goretex or similar) and trousers
- Fleece or jumper
- Sun hat, sunglasses, lip salve and sun screen
- Swimwear (if appropriate)
- Day sack (this should be able to carry all you would need for the days activity)
- Water bottle - at least 1 litre capacity
- Basic first aid kit
- Reusable Lunchbox
- Walking poles (should you find them useful)
This list is not exhaustive and every walker is different and may have their own preference.
The Caribbean has a typical tropical climate with high temperatures and plenty of rainfall, which is why the islands are so lush. There is little seasonal variation in temperature due to the islands location near the equator, but the seasons are determined by the amount of rainfall, and consist of rainy (generally June to October/November), and dry (generally December to May) seasons.
During the wet season, rainfall is usually in the form of short, but heavy, bursts with a high increase in humidity, while the dry season’s rain showers are generally lighter and the humidity is not so intense. Daytime temperatures can reach up to 30°C all year round.
With high temperatures and humidity, you will want to dress for comfort. Light cotton t-shirts, shorts, skirts and trousers are ideal for the day, especially ones that are quick drying so you can rinse them out to use again (saves on packing too!). For the evenings, smart casual attire is fine.
The Caribbean can occasionally experience short, sharp, heavy periods of rain that can occur without warning, leaving trails wet and streams higher than normal. When this happens, for some trails we may need to change the plan at short notice or, for more straightforward trails, it has been very useful in the past to don water/aqua-shoes for short sections where lying water is higher than boot level. These shoes can also be useful in and around rocky areas like waterfalls, for people with sensitive feet when getting in and out of water. It is also useful to carry a small, |light towel|. You may feel that waterproof trousers are not needed.
Travel Documents Checklist
Documents and Information to take with you:
- Passport (make sure it's yours and valid)
- Your travel tickets or e-ticket itinerary
- Any visa or electronic travel authorisation (if required)
- Holiday money
- Credit or debit cards (and separate details of who to call if lost)
- Car parking ticket and car park directions (if prebooked)
- Coach or rail travel tickets (if prebooked)
- Your holiday Booking Confirmation document
- Your travel insurance details
- Alternative form of identification (such as a driving licence)
- Photocopy of the personal details pages of your passport
- A valid European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) if relevant
- Details of any medical condition or allergy your holiday leader should know about
Water To Go
An alternative to bottled water from single-use sealed water bottles is
filtered water from a refillable bottle containing its own water filter
such as a Water-to-go bottle available from
Just fill up from any water source and save the environment from disposable plastic bottles.
We have negotiated an exclusive 15% discount with our partners Water-to-Go
for you as a thank you for helping the environment. Please go to their website
at www.watertogo.eu and
enter the code RWH17 when ordering. In addition, Water-to-Go will match the
discount with a donation to our charity, Heart & Sole, which will allow us
to continue to make a difference in the countries you visit on our holidays.