Brexit Advice

We're very much aware that the United Kingdom's decision to leave the European Union has caused some uncertainty as to how travel and holidays might be affected from the end March 2019.

We are monitoring events closely and liaising with our travel industry governing bodies and regulators in order to prepare for any eventualities.


Book with confidence

As an ABTA Tour Operator offering guided walking holiday packages, when booking with us, you can rely on a high level of support and financial protection before, during and after your holiday.

With European consumer protection legislation such as the Package Travel Directive 2018 and the Consumer Rights Directive 2011 already introduced into UK law, your holiday booking will retain a high level of financial and other protection after Britain leaves the EU.

Rest assured that when booking your holiday with us, in the unlikely event that we become unable to operate your holiday as a result of difficulties relating to Brexit, we would of course provide your with a full refund of your holiday cost or, if possible, offer a suitable alternative holiday.

However, if you're intending to holiday in a European Union country in the months immediately following Brexit, for peace of mind and to minimise any possible inconveniences and disruption to your travel plans, you may like to consider the following reasonable precautions which can be taken now:



We recommend that you check when your passport expires and ensure that you will have at least 6 months validity remaining on your passport at the time you enter an EU country for any planned visits after the 29 March 2019.

You should also check when your passport was renewed. If you renewed a 10 year adult passport before it expired, extra months may have been added to your passport's expiry date. These extra months over 10 years will not count towards the 6 months validity that must be remaining. The UK Government has published a website tool to check the validity of your passport under these rules.

Should you need to renew your passport in the near future, we recommend that you do this sooner rather than later to avoid any delays in processing your application. You can renew your passport online through the UK Government website or visit the Post office who offer a Check and Send service.

The EU intends to introduce an ETIAS (European Travel Information and Authorisation System) scheme, which will operate in a similar way to ESTA scheme used for travellers to the US or the ETA scheme used for visitors to Canada. However, it is not anticipated that the ETIAS scheme will be introduced before 2021.


The European Health Insurance Card and Travel Insurance

The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) allows any EU citizen to access state medical care when they are travelling in another EU country. In the event of a no-deal Brexit, as UK registered EHICs will no longer be valid, UK holidaymakers won't be able to use the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) scheme post-Brexit.

When travelling to the EU or further afield, you should always ensure that you have adequate travel insurance for the nature of your holiday.


Border Controls

With increased time likely to be necessary to complete border formalities, it would be prudent to allow for additional time to transit airports, international railways stations and ports.


Data Roaming

Under EU rules, the cost of making calls, sending messages or using the internet on your phone in the EU is the same in the UK. If the UK leaves without a deal these rules will no longer apply – however, some UK companies have said they may continue to offer this benefit to their customers. Before you travel, check with your mobile phone provider about the costs of using your phone in the EU.


Driving Licences & Car Insurance

If you're planning to drive in or through the EU to join your holiday in your destination, as long as you have a full UK driving licence, you don’t currently need an additional licence to drive in the EU. This is likely to change in a no-deal scenario. UK travellers looking to drive in the EU on or after 29 March 2019 may need to apply for the relevant International Driving Permit. These cost £5.50 and are available directly from the AA, the RAC or the Post Office. The Government is working to extend the network of Post Offices where you can apply for an International Driving Permit, and has plans to roll these out in more branches across the UK from 1 February 2019. Check carefully which permit is required for each country you intend to drive within, as you may need more than one permit to comply with the law.

If the UK leaves without a deal, UK citizens driving their vehicle within the EU would be required to obtain and carry a physical 'Green Card' in order for your UK car insurance to be applicable in the EU. These cards would be issued by insurers and you may be charged a small fee to cover administration costs. We recommend that you speak with your insurer for more information on obtaining a Green Card for any trip on or after 29 March 2019.


We'll keep you updated

We'll keep this page updated to keep you up to date and continue to provide advice to those travelling with us as to any eventualities relating to you holiday.


Email Us
Call us