Santorini & NaxosTwo weeks in the Cyclades Archipelago.
This holiday combines two wonderfully contrasting islands of the Cyclades, Santorini with its brilliant white cubist architecture and arid & rocky terrain and the green and mountainous landscape of Naxos.
Santorini, itself a mini-archipelago, offers dramatic scenery with its sheer cliffs, dark sandy beaches and caldera or crater, remains of probably the world’s largest volcanic eruption. We stay on the large island of Thira, in the village of Karteradhos, and our walks take in the rim of the ancient volcano, mountain ridges, picturesque villages and coastal paths, offering breathtaking views to nearby islands. Santorini is one of Greece’s most important wine producers and its crisp, white wines are a perfect accompaniment to the lovely meals we will have while on the island.
By contrast, the island of Naxos is immediately distinct from its neighbour. Its rugged mountains and green valleys offer beautiful verdant scenery for our walks, which can often end at one of the island’s idyllic sandy beaches. From our hotel, located close to the lovely St.George beach, we’ll follow extensive footpaths and mule tracks that link the villages, and discover towers and fortified mansions that are unique to the island. We’ll also have time to explore the alleyways and lanes of Naxos Town, which lead to the dramatic hill top castle that watches over the village. Due to Naxos’ fertile soil, the island grows abundant crops of potatoes, olives, grapes and lemons, which we’ll sample in our menus. You can’t get fresher than that!
We’ll eat at local tavernas each evening, giving the opportunity to sample traditional, delicious Greek cuisine and the wines from the islands.
- Walk along the crater rim of an ancient volcano, high above the sea, on Santorini.
- Traditional Greek cuisine at local tavernas.
- Walks through fertile inland plains covered with orchards on Naxos.
- Plenty of swimming opportunities.
- Walk from the picturesque village of Emporio, over the mountain ridge to ancient Thira for dramatic coastal views.
Santorini (4), Naxos (7), Santorini (3).Holiday Information Sheet
All Holiday Information sheets are in PDF format. You will need Acrobat Reader or a similar program to view these. To download Acrobat Reader visit get.adobe.com/reader.
- Return flights and airport transfers.
- Ferries between islands.
- B&B en-suite accommodation.
- Services of a dedicated leader.
- Dinners taken at the local restaurants and tavernas.
Three-star Hotel Albatros on Santorini, with a swimming pool and the two-star Hotel Galini and Sofia Latina, located close to the sandy beach of St George on Naxos.Travel
- Arrival by road (c30mins).
- Flights Gatwick or Manchester - Santorini (c4hrs), charter. Manchester supplement from £40 return.
- Travel in Greece is by road and ferry.
This page shows some of the comments and blogs that have been written about this holiday and Ramblers Worldwide Holidays in general. We are always pleased to receive feedback from our clients, to read more about this visit our feedback page.
If you would like to know more about the holiday, or have any specific questions - please send us a message using the form on the right. One of our holiday experts will get back to you with more information.