MalawiThe beating heart of Africa.
Discover the friendliest place on earth, where the warm welcome of the local people and the beauty of the landscape will melt your heart! This is Africa at its mildest, safest and a great introduction to this fascinating continent. Frequently referred to as “the land of the lake“; dominated by the seemingly endless and stunningly beautiful Lake Malawi. This is not just any lake; surrounded by sheer mountains and edged by palm-fringed white sandy beaches, it can in fact easily be mistaken for an ocean!
Lake Malawi is not the country’s only magnificent sight; we will be spoilt by the lush green beauty of the Zomba Plateau, be in awe of stunning tea estates with dramatic Mount Mulanje towering in the distance and explore Liwonde National Park, undoubtedly one of the prettiest game reserves in Sub Saharan Africa.
We fly into Lilongwe, Malawi’s capital, before continuing on to the Zomba Plateau. The leafy green paradise allows some fine highland walking opportunities with simply stunning viewpoints. We’ll walk in the footsteps of the great Doctor Livingstone who first traversed the plateau in 1859.
We continue in the direction of Mount Mulanje (3002m), the tallest mountain in south-central Africa. We will enjoy some
pleasant walks in the foothills to beautiful waterfalls and fresh water mountain streams. From here we also walk amongst the tea estates of the Thyolo Highlands, and admire the wonderful views.
We go in search of wildlife and continue by road to the Liwonde National Park. We arrive at our camp by riverboat; a wildlife spotting excursion in itself, you are likely to see pods of hippopotamus, crocodiles sunbathing and herds of elephants on the banks. Here we also enjoy a game drive and a bush walk.
Our magical journey comes to an end on the shores of Lake Malawi at a beach side retreat. Here we take a slower pace and enjoy the lakeside views. We include a boat trip to explore the magnificent lake at sunset, with sundowners.
Extend your stay in Africa
Explore the delights of Zambia—add-on programmes at South Luangwa National Park and Victoria Falls are available on request. Call for further information.
- The beauty of Lake Malawi's glistening emerald waters.
- The friendliness of the local people.
- The beautiful contrasting landscapes.
- Hippo spotting on the mighty Shire River.
- Our African product manager classes Malawi as the most beautiful and welcoming destination on the continent.
- Enjoy the laidback tone, allowing for the most perfect holiday vibe.
Outbound flight (1), Lilongwe (1), Zomba Plateau (3), Mulanje Mountain (2), Liwonde National Park (2) Lake Malawi (Southern Lake Shore) (3), return flight (1).Holiday Information Sheet
All Holiday Information sheets are in PDF format. You will need Acrobat Reader or a similar program to view these. To download Acrobat Reader visit get.adobe.com/reader.
- Return flights and airport transfers.
- Six nights half board and five nights full board.
- Services of a dedicated leader.
- A local guide to enhance your experience.
- All excursions and entrance fees as included in the programme.
In good tourist class accommodation and in a Safari Tent on two nights. Please see our Holiday Information sheet for more details.Travel
- Arrival transfer by road (c30mins).
- Flights Heathrow-Lilongwe Malawi via Addis Ababa both ways (c13hrs + stop). Additional stop in Lubumbashi, Lilongwe to Addis Ababa, Ethiopian Airlines.
- Please note Depending on final airline schedules there may be a long wait at Addis Ababa on the return journey; please ask at the time of booking.
- UK add-on flights from £150 return, British Airways.
- Upgrades Business Class available, please contact us for a quote.
This page shows some of the comments and blogs that have been written about this holiday and Ramblers Worldwide Holidays in general. We are always pleased to receive feedback from our clients, to read more about this visit our feedback page.
If you would like to know more about the holiday, or have any specific questions - please send us a message using the form on the right. One of our holiday experts will get back to you with more information.