Hiking from AlpbachSpectacular walking in the Austrian Tirol.
Surrounded by a diverse and beautiful chain of mountain peaks, ridges and remote side valleys, the scope of walks from the attractive village of Alpbach is almost limitless. There are walks to the upper reaches of the valley or down through the pretty woods and villages, and breathtaking hikes to its higher peaks such as the craggy Standkopf or the dome-like Schatzberg – a name meaning “treasure mountain” because of the mediaeval copper and silver mines underneath it. In addition we will be able to explore the heights of the nearby Rofan plateau with its soaring cliffs and high pastures strewn with orchids and Edelweiss. One of our staff rates this as his favourite walking centre anywhere in the world!
This holiday allows for strenuous days achieving the high places with panoramic views, but also easier days allowing for pleasant rambles and lower level walks to discover the often flower-filled meadows, wide ridges, isolated lakes, hamlets, and the spectacular Kundl Gorge.
Both local and hired transport together with cable cars and chairlifts, which operate from mid-June, are used to increase the scope and diversity of the walks. A Lift Pass is included within the price of the holiday which gives clients unlimited use of the local lifts and buses, even when not walking with the group. We are based near the upper end of the peaceful and attractive Alpbach valley, which has a very distinctive character of its own.
- A complete circuit of the jagged summits of Gratlspitz.
- A ridge walk to the remote summit of the Sagtalerspitz.
- Feel like you’re on top of the world enjoying the views from the dome - like Schatzberg.
- The ascent of the Marchspitze on the Rofan plateau, surrounded by soaring cliffs, distant views of half Austria, and Edelweiss galore.
- The wide rocky ridge linking the Wiedersberger Horn with Standkopf, all above 2000m, with grand views to either side.
- With more highlights than days, it’s a struggle to know what to leave out!
All Holiday Information sheets are in PDF format. You will need Acrobat Reader or a similar program to view these. To download Acrobat Reader visit get.adobe.com/reader.
- Return flights and airport transfers.
- Half board en-suite accommodation.
- A local transport pass.
- Services of a dedicated leader.
Three-star Haus Andreas in Alpbach, with many walks originating from the hotel door. Please note that the twin rooms contain ’Austrian-type’ beds, with one bed frame and two individual bed packs.Travel
- Arrival transfer by road (c2hrs 30mins).
- Flights Heathrow–Munich
- UK add-on flights from £90 return, British Airways.
- Upgrades Business Class available, please ask for a competitive quote.
- Direct regional flights may be available with Lufthansa
- The full cost of regional flights is payable at the time of booking. Unfortunately this amount is non refundable.
- Please note: A wait at Munich airport may be necessary to enable all clients to travel together to and from the hotel.
This page shows some of the comments and blogs that have been written about this holiday and Ramblers Worldwide Holidays in general. We are always pleased to receive feedback from our clients, to read more about this visit our feedback page.
If you would like to know more about the holiday, or have any specific questions - please send us a message using the form on the right. One of our holiday experts will get back to you with more information.