Bach in the LechtalDiscover a romantic white wilderness.
Austria knows how to do winter – fir trees heavy with snow, picture-postcard alpine villages, log fires and glühwein. The village of Bach, our base, combines undisturbed tranquillity with age-old customs. In the northern Tirol, between the Lechtal Alps to the south and the Allgäu Alps to the north, the village lies at just over 1,000m, with the surrounding peaks rising to well over 2,500m. The steep slopes prevent the immediate area being suitable for downhill skiing, whilst the many side valleys allow us access to excellent snowshoeing routes.
One walk takes us through snow-covered meadows and spruce woods to the beautifully situated Wasealm Hut with views up the Grieß valley. On another day we head west to walk between the Kalbele and Körber Lakes – a walk described as like walking through hills covered in icing sugar. The highlight of the week is a walk to the Bernardseck Hut, starting with a lift in a piste-making machine, for an included fondue lunch, then beyond towards the summit of the Muttekopf.
The hotel manager, an experienced snowshoe walking leader with an intimate knowledge of the area will normally lead most of our walks. We include all local transport for our snowshoeing programme.
The heady mix of clean air and beautiful mountains will within a couple of days cleanse both the body and mind. And then when you are back home you may realise that you are suffering from ‘Mountain Withdrawal Symptoms’, guaranteed to draw you back time and time again.
Take a look at our other Winter Sports holidays.Highlights
- The ascent to the Muttekopf (2100m), followed by a descent through woods and across snow-covered meadows.
- Walking in pristine snow in the mountains.
- Lunch stops in alpine huts.
- An evening (flaming) torchlight walk with glühwein.
All Holiday Information sheets are in PDF format. You will need Acrobat Reader or a similar program to view these. To download Acrobat Reader visit get.adobe.com/reader.
- Return flights and transfers.
- Half board en-suite accommodation.
- A large breakfast buffet and four course dinner with salad buffet in the hotel.
- Services of a dedicated leader.
We stay in the very comfortable three-star family run Hotel Grüner Baum in the centre of the village. The hotel has its own sauna, which is free to guests.
For an idea of the look and feel of the hotel, take a look at its website - currently only in German.
- Arrival transfer by road (c2hrs 30mins).
- Flights Gatwick–Innsbruck (c2hrs), British Airways.
- UK add on flights from £95 return, British Airways.
- Upgrades Business Class available, please ask for a competitive quote.
Weather Information Click here .
This page shows some of the comments and blogs that have been written about this holiday and Ramblers Worldwide Holidays in general. We are always pleased to receive feedback from our clients, to read more about this visit our feedback page.
If you would like to know more about the holiday, or have any specific questions - please send us a message using the form on the right. One of our holiday experts will get back to you with more information.