Ancient Wonders of SicilyExploring the historical delights of Sicily from Selinunte, Agrigento, Syracuse and Palermo.
We begin at the isolated coastal site of the Greek city at Selinunte. Once a powerful metropolis, Selinus was destroyed in 409BC, leaving some of the Mediterranean’s best ruins.
We then move on to Agrigento, a fine example of medieval Sicily, to see the vast remains of ancient Akragas.
We continue via the medieval hilltop town of Enna and the Villa Romana del Casale in Piazza Armerina to the renowned city of Syracuse. Founded in 733BC, the Corinthians ’grew’ the city around the old town of Ortygia, an offshore island. We’ll explore the archaeological delights of both.
Our final centre is Palermo, closer to Africa than Milan, with easily seen cultural influences. We explore Palermo and the local ancient wonders. Optional sightseeing may include Segesta, Monreale and Solunto (ruins of the ancient city on the slopes of Monte Catalfano).
The December departure includes a gala dinner on New Year’s Eve.
- The Valley of the Temples in Agrigento.
- The Norman-Arab Cathedral at Monreale.
- Villa Romana del Casale in Piazza Armerina, dating from the third century.
- The vast historical remains of Syracuse.
Selinunte (2), Agrigento (3), Syracuse (3), Palermo (3).Holiday Information Sheet
All Holiday Information sheets are in PDF format. You will need Acrobat Reader or a similar program to view these. To download Acrobat Reader visit get.adobe.com/reader.
- Return flights and airport transfers.
- Coach transfers between centres.
- B&B en-suite accommodation.
- Dinners taken at hotels or local restaurants. The December departure includes a gala dinner on New Years Eve at the hotel in Palermo.
- Services of a dedicated leader.
Three and four-star hotels.Travel
- Flights operate to Palermo via Rome or Milan.
- UK add-on flights from £130 return British Airways.
- Travel in Sicily is by road. Arrival transfer (c2hrs).
This page shows some of the comments and blogs that have been written about this holiday and Ramblers Worldwide Holidays in general. We are always pleased to receive feedback from our clients, to read more about this visit our feedback page.
If you would like to know more about the holiday, or have any specific questions - please send us a message using the form on the right. One of our holiday experts will get back to you with more information.