Iles d'Or - Golden IslandsGlorious island walking on the southern most point of Provence!
Since the Renaissance, the three islands of Porquerolles, Port- Cros and Levant have been called Les Îles d’Or. These jewels, just off the coast of Giens peninsula, are on the southernmost point of Provence. We plan to walk on two islands, with circular walks exploring the coastlines, nature and ruined forts.
The combination of sea and sun gives the islands a green and luxurious vegetation of pines, eucalyptus, vineyards, fruit and olive trees – paradise for many types of birds.
The Giens peninsula is connected to the French Mediterranean mainland by two 4 mile long sand dunes, with long and beautiful beaches; a haven for migrating birds, from flamingos and egrets to sandpipers and herons.
We start in Hyères; with some coastal walking. We also take the ferry to the Island of Porquerolles, with its stunning landscapes, picturesque village and calanques and visit Port-Cros. Île Port-Cros, the smallest of the three islands, is a national park and almost entirely covered in pine and holm oak trees.
From Île Port-Cros we travel direct to Le Lavandou (our luggage will be transferred separately), for our final three nights. Here we’ll visit the picturesque medieval Bormes les Mimosas, walk along the scenic beach to Port de Bormes and continue to Cape Bènat, finishing at the Fort de Brégançon – the official retreat of the president of France.
- Stunning views as we walk coastal and inland routes.
- Visits to two of the three charming Golden Islands - ferry costs included.
- A visit to one of the most florally decorated towns in France, the medieval village of Bormes les Mimosas.
- Walk in the Massif des Maure through Notre-Dame-de-Constance.
- Your knowledgeable local guide in addition to the Ramblers Worldwide Holidays tour leader.
- Rambling along the golden sands and majestic seas of this beautiful south of France coastline
Hyères (3), Le Lavandou (3).
All Holiday Information sheets are in PDF format. You will need Acrobat Reader or a similar program to view these. To download Acrobat Reader visit get.adobe.com/reader.
- Flights and return airport transfers.
- All local transport costs in conjunction with the programme.
- Services of a dedicated leader.
- A local guide to help enhance your knowledge of the area.
- Half board with breakfasts and dinners taken in the hotels or local restaurants.
In the three-star Hotel Europe Hyères in Hyères and the three-star Anglade Hotel in Le Lavandou.
- Arrival transfer by road (c1hr).
- Flights Heathrow–Marseille (c2hr 45mins), British Airways.
- UK add-on flights from £95 return, British Airways.
- Upgrades Business Class available, please ask for a competitive quote.
This page shows some of the comments and blogs that have been written about this holiday and Ramblers Worldwide Holidays in general. We are always pleased to receive feedback from our clients, to read more about this visit our feedback page.
A big bonus was being able to visit Odessa, which was previously cancelled, and well worth the visit. However, the real holiday highlight was Santorini!
Pam Young joined a group heading off on one of our Isle of Man walking holidays. A newcomer to Ramblers Worldwide Holidays, she was so moved that she felt inspired to compose a poem! Laura – Community Editor
If you would like to know more about the holiday, or have any specific questions - please send us a message using the form on the right. One of our holiday experts will get back to you with more information.