Iles d'Or - Golden IslandsGlorious island walking on the southern most point of Provence!
Since the Renaissance, the three islands of Porquerolles, Port-Cros and Levant have been called Les Iles d'Or (The Golden Islands). These jewels, just off the coast of la presequile de Giens (Giens peninsula), are on the most southern point of Provence. We plan to walk on two of these three stunning islands, with a series of circular walks exploring the coastlines, inland flora and fauna and ruined forts.
The combination of sea and sun creates a mild microclimate giving the islands a green and luxurious vegetation of pines, eucalyptus, vineyards, fruit and olive trees and is a paradise for many types of birds.
Located on the French Mediterranean coast, the Giens peninsula is connected to the mainland of France by two 4 mile long sand dunes, which are also long and beautiful beaches. In between the dunes once lay salt marshes, today it is now a haven for several species of migrating birds, from flamingos and egrets to sandpipers and herons.
We start our journey in Hyères where we spend three nights; from here we can enjoy some coastal walking. We will also take the ferry to the Island of Porquerolles, with its stunning landscapes, picturesque village and calanques. From Hyères we will also make our second Island visit to Port-Cros. Ile Port-Cros, the smallest island of the three, is a national park and almost entirely covered in pine and holm oak trees, it's an ecological paradise!
From Ile Port-Cros we will travel direct to our second centre, Le Lavandou (our luggage will be transferred separately), where we spend our final three nights. Here we will visit the picturesque medieval village of Bormes les Mimosas, walk along the scenic beach to reach the Port de Bormes and continue onto Cape Bènat, finally finishing at the Fort de Brégançon (the official retreat of the president of France).
We have a great programme of walks, enabling us to explore the local areas and islands, the best way of seeing the true beauty the Iles d'Or has to offer.
- Stunning views as we walk coastal and inland routes
- Visits to two of the three charming Golden Islands - ferry costs included
- A visit to one of the most florally decorated towns in France, the medieval village of Bormes les Mimosas
- Walk in the Massif des Maure through Notre-Dame-de-Constance
Hyères (3), Le Lavandou (3).
All Holiday Information sheets are in PDF format. You will need Acrobat Reader or a similar program to view these. To download Acrobat Reader visit get.adobe.com/reader.
- Flights and return airport transfers.
- All local transport costs in conjunction with the programme.
- Services of a dedicated leader.
- A local guide to help enhance your knowledge of the area.
- B&B en suite accommodation.
- Dinners to be taken in the hotel or possibly in local restaurants.
Three-star Hotel Europe Hyères in Hyères and the three star Anglade Hotel in Le Lavandou
- Flights operate from London Heathrow with British Airways
- Add on flights from UK regional airports are available from £90 return with British Airways
- Upgrades: Business class may be available with British Airways, please ask for a competitive quote.
- Travel in France is by road.
- The arrival transfer from Marseille airport to Hyeres is by road and takes about 1 hour
Weather Information Click here .
This page shows some of the comments and blogs that have been written about this holiday and Ramblers Worldwide Holidays in general. We are always pleased to receive feedback from our clients, to read more about this visit our feedback page.
If you would like to know more about the holiday, or have any specific questions - please send us a message using the form on the right. One of our holiday experts will get back to you with more information.